▪ “Personal Data” is any information by virtue of which you can identify or relate an individual (natural person) such as names, phone numbers, email addresses, financial information, physical addresses, identity numbers, etc.
(i) Informs an individual about how their Personal Data is treated by the recipient of such data (practices related to collection, use, transfer or data retention etc.),
(ii) Informs an individual about various rights in relation to their Personal Data,
(iii) Provides for a grievance redressal mechanism to report any issues,
(iv) Achieves compliance with the applicable data protection laws, and
(v) Acts as a tool to obtain consent from the providers of Personal Data.
HOW DO WEBSITES OR APPLICATIONS COLLECT PERSONAL DATA?
Common fields of collection are:
▪ “Contact-us” pages,
▪ Login or Sign-up pages,
▪ Chat-Bots fields,
▪ Analytical tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Custom Audience, Social Plugins, Bitly, etc.
▪ Under the upcoming Indian Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019, a privacy notice is mandatorily required as a prerequisite for taking consent and fulfilling the transparency compliance created by law. Non-compliance or violation of the law would lead to heavy penalties to the tune of up to INR 15 Crore or 4% of its total worldwide global turnover.
▪ Even the EU General Data Protection Regulation requires a party collecting EU personal data to publish a privacy notice.
3. Helpfulness- (i) The user may be actively informed of their rights and obligations. (ii) The headings may be rephrased as questions.(iii) Icons, colour codes and visual aids may be explored to increase readability. (iv) Typography and layouts should be aimed to increase readability.
4. Conscientiousness-Granular control must be given to users to provide consent based on the information they have received.
1. Increase approachability by simplifying text
2. Simple, crisp sentences should be used.
3. Structure with intuitive navigation in the UI/UX
4. Create emphasis for (disclaimers, onerous clauses etc.)
5. Provide local language support
6. Optimise across devices (mobile, tablet, computers, etc. )
7. Provide for offline use 8. Present in other forms (audiovisual form)
▪ The trend in various privacy regulations across the globe is to empower the individual with greater control over their personal data and require increased transparency from organisations accessing Personal Data.